Historic Site Management Grant
Grant Award: $15,000 (2009) Grant Recipient: Allentown Presbyterian Church County: MonmouthMunicipality: Allentown
The Presbyterian Church was established in Allentown in 1720, and the existing building is the second constructed on this site, completed in 1837 in the Greek Revival style. A grand portico and steeple were added in 1858. The steeple was reconstructed in 1929 after a fire. It is surrounded by an active cemetery on a four-acre site, and the church owns a number of other properties. The active congregation has programs for children and teens, as well as space that is used by other community organizations.
The 2009 Trust grant is helping fund the preparation of a preservation plan and an investigation into possible structural deficiencies.
For more information, visit: http://www.allentownpresbyterian.org/