Historic Site Management Grant
Grant Award: $50,000 (2008) Grant Recipient: Jewish Federation of Cumberland County County: SalemMunicipality: Pittsgrove Township
The Alliance Historic District is comprised of the last remaining physical components of the Alliance Colony. The Alliance Colony was established in 1882, and is an important 19th century Jewish agricultural community founded by Jews fleeing persecution in Russia and Eastern Europe. While many of the original buildings have been lost, the district consists of the Moshe Bayuk House, the Shearith Israel Synagogue, and the Alliance cemetery and chapel.
The Trust grant helped fund the preparation of an interpretive plan and assisted in the development of the Alliance Heritage Center.
For more information, visit: http://www.jewishcumberland.org/