Historic Site Management Planning Grant
Grant Award: $7,312 (2002); $35,287 (2006) Grant Recipient: Mt. Holly Monthly Meeting/Society of Friends County: BurlingtonMunicipality: Mt. Holly
Arney’s Mount Friends Meeting house was constructed c. 1775-76 of local sandstone in a vernacular design. It is the oldest meeting house without interior partitions in the region that is still in use. The meeting house is remarkably preserved from its 1811 appearance when portions of the building were reconstructed after a fire. The building was vacant from 1871 until the meeting was revived in 1941. The original cedar roof is now asphalt shingle. The surrounding burial ground retains its integrity.
The 2002 grant helped to fund the preparation of a preservation plan for the building. The 2006 grant helped fund a detailed structural assessment and preparation of construction documents that will help the meeting stabilize the structure for future generations of use.
For more information, visit: http://www.njchurchscape.com/Arney's Mount Friends.html