Historic Site Management Grant
Grant Award: $217,258 (1990); $35,155 (2000) Grant Recipient: Historical Society of Princeton County: MercerMunicipality: Princeton Borough
Bainbridge House, headquarters of the Princeton Historical Society, was constructed in 1766 by Job Stockton and is a rare, well-preserved example of mid-Georgian architecture and a landmark on Princeton's main thoroughfare. Beatty House, acquired by the Historical Society in 1991, dates from ca. 1779 and is also significant as an architectural rarity - it is one of the few surviving examples of 18th century wood construction in Princeton Borough.
The most recent Trust grant helped fund an investigation into the feasibility of utilizing the second floor of Bainbridge House for accessible gallery space and moving the research library and offices to Beatty House. In addition, the Society retained a development consultant to determine the feasibility of obtaining necessary financial support to fund these projects. A previous Trust grant helped fund structural work, restoration of the main staircase, the creation of barrier-free access, and fire and safety protection at the Bainbridge House.
For more information, visit: http://www.princetonhistory.org/