Historic Site Management Grant
Grant Award: $22,875 (2001); $238,478 (2004) Grant Recipient: Township of Cherry Hill County: CamdenMunicipality: Township of Cherry Hill
The Barclay Farmstead was built ca. 1828 in the late-Federal style and now serves as a house museum.
The Croft Farm, built ca. 1750 by Quaker Isaac Kay, received two 19th century additions by the abolitionist Evans family and resulted in the Federal style appearance of the main block of the house. John Croft farmed the property before the township purchased it in 1985. Today, the farmhouse, historic outbuildings (ice house, smoke house, spring house, wagon shed and barn) and 45 acres of recreational space are remnants of the agricultural heritage of the now highly developed township. The site is used for historic and art programs, summer camp and passive recreation.
The 2001 Trust grant funded two separate preservation plans, one for each site, that prioritized repair and restoration issues for each property.
The 2004 grant helped fund repairs to the Croft farmhouse including exterior restoration, interior rehabilitation, and improved accessibility to the first floor.
For more information, visit: http://www.cherryhill-nj.com/index.aspx?nid=95