Grant Award: $516,182 (1992) Grant Recipient: New Jersey Division of Parks and Forestry County: BurlingtonMunicipality: Batsto (Washington Township)
The historic community of Batsto grew around the bog iron furnace, founded in 1766, which supplied canon, mortars, camp kettles, iron fastenings and fittings to the Continental Army during the American Revolution. In the late-nineteenth century it was acquired by Joseph Wharton, a Philadelphia industrialist and financier, whose extensive landholdings in the Pine Barrens formed the basis of Wharton State Forest.
Today, Batsto Village functions as a restored village museum and remains one of the most popular state-owned historic sites, attracting more than 100,000 visitors annually.
The grant funded restoration work on fifteen buildings, including the sawmill, the mansion, the mule barn, the carriage house, and the general store/post office.
For more information, visit: http://batstovillage.org