Capital Preservation Grant, Level II
Historic Site Management Grant
Grant Award: $37,500 (2001); $600,000 (2002); $50,000 (2007); $750,000 (2008); $50,000 (2009); $46,125 (2012) Grant Recipient: Bayshore Center at Bivalve County: CumberlandMunicipality: Commercial Township
The 1904-constructed shipping sheds and wharves were the centerpiece of the early 20th century Maurice River Cove oyster industry that once flourished on the bay. Built by the Central Railroad of New Jersey, the sheds and its associated industries employed thousands of workers and defined the regional economy.
The Bayshore Discovery Project purchased the site in 2001 for use as its headquarters, a museum, educational facility, and as the base of operations for the A.J. Meerwald (New Jersey's official tall ship) and has been restoring and adapting the buildings for visitor use since that time.
The 2012 Trust grant will help fund the preparation of a variety of interpretive materials and a marketing campaign for the facility. A 2009 Trust grant helped fund the development of a capital campaign. The 2007 and 2008 Trust grants helped fund the planning and construction of the fourth phase of restoration activities including interior and exterior finishes, wharf roof restoration and installation of heating, ventilation, plumbing, and electrical systems as well as the development of an interpretive plan for the site. Previous grants helped fund the second and third phases of restoration and preparation of a historic structure report.
For more information, visit: http://bayshorecenter.org