Grant Award: $131,400 (2016) Grant Recipient: Christ Episcopal Church County: SussexMunicipality: Newton
The stone church was constructed in 1868 according to the designs of architect Jonathan V. Nichols and was patterned upon medieval English parish churches. The exterior is trimmed with contrasting colored stones and a patterned slate roof. The tower steeple was removed in 1937 after being damaged following a lightning strike. The historic church campus also includes a former rectory and church office, as well as 1960s-era parish hall. The church provides space for a youth choir and orchestra and holds English classes for the local Hispanic community.
The Trust grant would help fund masonry repairs to correct water infiltration issues as well as repairs to several windows and reconstruction of an accessible path that no longer meets the ADA standards.
For more information, visit: www.christchurchnewton.org/history-when-established-how-founded.html