Capital Preservation Grant, Level II
Grant Award: $39,192 (1996); $250,000 (2010) Grant Recipient: Church of the Redeemer County: MorrisMunicipality: Morristown Township
The Church of the Redeemer, built in 1917, is a striking Neo-Gothic presence in historic Morristown. The Tudor Revival-style Parish Hall and Rectory were added in 1926. The building is notable for its architectural integrity and museum-quality stained-glass windows that were designed by the English firm Heaton, Butler and Bayne. The church, which was founded in 1852, is active in social programs and community service, and has converted the former rectory into a residence for people living with AIDS.
The current Trust grant will help fund the exterior restoration of the Parish Hall, addressing priorities identified in the preservation plan. The proposed work addresses water infiltration, deteriorated terra cotta coping stones and window and door surrounds, steel window sash and lintels, and some masonry repointing. A previous grant helped restore a stained glass rose window in the sanctuary.
For more information, visit: www.redeemermorristown.org