Grant Award: $316,496 (1992) Grant Recipient: Middlesex County Cultural & Heritage Commission County: MiddlesexMunicipality: Piscataway
The Low House is one of the finest examples of Georgian architecture in all of New Jersey. Constructed in 1741, the house has survived essentially unaltered. It is one of two remaining buildings from the once-thriving early New Jersey settlement of Raritan Landing.
The Trust grant helped fund repointing, repair of the wood shingle roof, repair of windows, restoration of original plaster molding and woodwork, and removal of oak flooring that covered the original random-width pine flooring. Maintained by the Middlesex County Cultural and Heritage Commission, the Low House serves as an art and local history museum.
For more information, visit: http://co.middlesex.nj.us/culturalheritage/museum.asp