Capital Preservation Grant, Level II
Grant Award: $93,710 (2004) Grant Recipient: Borough of Tinton Falls County: MonmouthMunicipality: Tinton Falls
This early 19th century house is associated with three generations of the Crawfords, an influential local family, which operated a butcher shop on this site. The house exhibits Dutch framing, which is an unusual construction method for this area of the state. The house was modified in 1920 to its current Colonial Revival appearance. Owned by the borough since 1995, the structure is in the heart of the Tinton Falls Historic District, the oldest settled section of the community, across the street from the natural falls, which once powered grist and saw mills.
The Trust grant helped fund the restoration of the building's exterior to its 1920 appearance. Work included structural repairs, new siding, and porch and window restoration. The borough plans to rehabilitate the interior of the house for use as a visitors' center, community meeting and office space.
For more information, visit: