Governor Chris Christie • Lt.Governor Kim Guadagno
Print    Close
Red Mill Museum Village
Cultural Trust Historic Preservation Grants
Grant Award:
$50,000 (2007); $35,000 (2012)
Grant Recipient:
Red Mill Museum Village

The Red Mill Museum Village consists of a 19th century mill and domestic limestone quarry and outbuildings, along with a schoolhouse, wagon shed, and corn crib that were relocated to the site.  Five concerned citizens, known as the “Red Mill Five,” purchased the property in 1960 to save it from deterioration due to neglect. The mill opened as a museum in 1963, and the adjacent quarry was acquired by the museum in 1964.


The mill building was constructed c. 1810 as a single-story structure and enlarged to four floors later in the nineteenth century. First used to process wool, it later became a grist mill, flour mill, graphite mill, and during the early twentieth century it produced talc. Between 1928 and 1963 it was used as a storage facility.

The 2007 grant helped fund the replacement of the cedar shingle roof.  

Limestone quarry operations began at the site in 1844 and ended in 1964. A number of quarry structures remain below the 150-foot limestone cliff including the office, dynamite shed, screen house, three lime kilns, a wagon house, and a tenant house.   


The 2012 grant will help fund the stabilization of the Screen House and restoration of its inner mechanism for interpretive purposes.



For more information, please visit