Standing adjacent to the welcome sign for the community, The Church of the Epiphany holds a prominent location on the Main Street of Orange and is an anchor site for the historic character of the downtown area. It was built in 1857 as Grace Episcopal Church, with hopes of becoming the cathedral for the Diocese of Newark. The congregation of the Church of the Epiphany was the mission Church of Grace, the oldest independent Black Episcopal Parish in Essex County and the diocese of Newark. In the 1970s the parish moved from their mission church to the mother church.
The Trust grant will assist roof rehabilitation and partial replacement of the polychromatic slate. The project is guided by a preservation plan funded by the Trust in 2007.
Previous grants supported the preparation of a preservation plan to assess the condition and needs of the church, including the sanctuary and parish hall.
For more information, visit: http://www.churchoftheepiphanyorange.org/home.html