Department of Military and Veterans Affairs

New Jersey Historic Trust Affiliated with the Department of Community Affairs

Friends Meeting House

New Jersey Historic Preservation Bond Program
Matching Grant Awards
Grant Award: $23,363 (1991)
Grant Recipient: Friends Meeting House Association
County: Morris
Municipality: Randolph
This 1758 Quaker meetinghouse is the oldest religious building in continuous use in Morris County. It may have the most intact eighteenth-century Quaker meetinghouse interior in the nation. Founding members of the meeting formed the first anti-slavery society in New Jersey in 1776. Second generation members industrialized the Mill Brook Valley from 1790-1840.

The Trust grant funded structural stabilization and electrical upgrading for the structure. The project sponsors have developed a number of programs about the meetinghouse to increase public understanding of historic preservation.
For more information, visit:  http://randolphmeetinghouse.org  


Back
to top