Historic Site Management Grant
Capital Preservation Grant, Level II
Grant Award: $28,706 (2001); $200,000 (2004) Grant Recipient: City of Bordentown County: BurlingtonMunicipality: Bordentown City
Built ca. 1788-1802 by Samuel Rogers with early 19th century additions, the vernacular Gilder House is the oldest property in the Bordentown Historic District. Richard Gilder, the editor of Century magazine, added the beehive oven and dominant front porch. From 1842 to 1882, the house was part of the Bellevue School for young woman. Now owned by the municipality, the house museum is currently closed because of code issues, but remains a landmark property at the entrance to Gilder Park’s recreational complex.
The 2004 Trust grant helped fund exterior restoration, accessibility and improvements to the heating and ventilation systems. This work was recommended in a historic structure report, prepared with help from a 2001 Trust grant.
For more information, visit: http://www.downtownbordentown.com/guided-tour.php