Garden State Historic Preservation Trust Fund
Historic Site Management Grant
Capital Preservation Grant, Level II
Grant Award: $67,543 (1996); $81,346 (2000); $21,000 (2001); $26,250 (2004); $120,000 (2006) Grant Recipient: City of North Wildwood Lighthouse Commission County: Cape MayMunicipality: North Wildwood
The Hereford Lighthouse (1874) is one of six known lighthouses commissioned by the U.S. Treasury's Light House Board. It was built by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers between 1872 and 1875. Three of the six known lighthouses have been demolished, and one unsympathetically altered. The Hereford Lighthouse retains the most architectural integrity of the two remaining. The Hereford Lighthouse followed standardized plans developed for residential lighthouses by Paul J. Petz of the US Light House Board. The lighthouse is open 350 days per year and over the last thirty-six months attracted over 120,000 visitors.
The 2006 matching grant helped fund interior restoration, improvements to systems and fire suppression, and reconstruction of some exterior elements. Previous grants have helped fund architectural research and design, preparation of construction documents, and restoration of the roof and chimneys.
For more information, visit: http://www.herefordlighthouse.org