Capital Preservation Grant Level II
Historic Site Management Grant
Grant Award: $578,350 (1997); $50,000 (2001); $750,000 (2002) Grant Recipient: Hunterdon County Board of Chosen Freeholders County: HunterdonMunicipality: Flemington
Best known as the site of the infamous 1935 Lindbergh kidnapping trial, the Hunterdon County Courthouse is one of the oldest surviving county courthouses in New Jersey. Built in 1828, it serves as a fine example of Greek Revival civic architecture.
The 2002 Trust grant helped fund the second and final phase of restoration of the courthouse and attached jail to the period of the Lindbergh trial, as well as updates to allow barrier free access to the courthouse. The 2001 Trust grant helped fund the preparation of construction documents for the restoration and rehabilitation of the interior of the courthouse, warden's house, and jail. A 1997 grant helped fund exterior restoration including repair of deteriorated stucco and masonry, roof and window restoration, and site drainage improvements.
For more information, visit: www.judiciary.state.nj.us/somerset/hnthist.htm