Historic Site Management Grant
Grant Award: $14,429 (2010); $13,309 (2012) Grant Recipient: Red Mill Museum Village County: HunterdonMunicipality: Clinton
The site’s significance centers around two industrial sites, the Hunt’s Mill, an 1810 wood frame structure that was used during its history to process wool, grist, plaster, graphite, energy and water power; and the Mulligan Quarry, whose limestone operation continued for 120 years and included processing buildings and worker housing. Five concerned citizens, known as the “Red Mill Five,” purchased the property in 1960 to save it from deterioration due to neglect. Other buildings, including a schoolhouse and log cabin, were moved to the site after the museum was founded in 1960. The ten-acre site now includes 12 buildings.
The museum village has strong visitation and is often rented for private events. However, the variety of buildings, the topography and location of original artifacts is challenging to make accessible for persons with physical or other limitations.
The 2012 Trust grant helped fund an accessibility assessment that identifed physical, program and policy changes to improve accessibility, and architectural plans that address additional physical barriers. The 2010 grant funded the design, fabrication, and installation of interpretive and directional signage throughout the Red Mill Museum Village.
For more information, visit: http://theredmill.org/