Historic Site Management Grant
Grant Award: $50,000 (2006) Grant Recipient: South Jersey Tourism Corporation County: BurlingtonMunicipality: Medford
James Still was one of New Jersey’s earliest black medical practitioners, who specialized in medical botany and was self trained. His success enabled him to become an affluent landowner in Medford, where he established his house (unfortunately demolished) and this office at a prominent intersection. An important leader in the African American community in South Jersey, Still founded the annual Still Family Reunion and published his autobiography in 1877. The building was constructed ca. 1836 and moved to the site adjacent to Still’s 1860 house. Its current appearance reflects a ca. 1860 remodeling.
The 8-acre site was recently purchased by the State of New Jersey, which is working with the local municipality and other nonprofits to plan for the future restoration, maintenance and use of the structure. Vacant and suffering from deferred maintenance, the building needs a comprehensive building conditions analysis, historical research and documentation, and discussion of future use and program. The site is threatened by encroaching development.
The Trust grant helped fund the preparation of a preservation plan, including historic research and recommendations for site interpretation and rehabilitation.
For more information, visit: http://www.medfordhistory.org/drstillctr/index.php