Historic Site Management Grant
Grant Award: $31,500 (2000) Grant Recipient: Levoy Theatre Preservation Society County: CumberlandMunicipality: Millville
Built in 1908 and greatly enlarged in 1912, the Classical Revival-style Levoy Theatre is a small-scale example of the movie palaces built throughout the United States in the early-twentieth century. Featuring vaudeville and motion pictures, the theatre was the focus of entertainment in the working-class town of Millville through the mid-1940s. It closed in the mid-1970s.
The Trust grant funded a preservation plan and marketing/feasibility study for the Theatre.
While the Levoy was under renovation in January 2011, the brick walls collapsed and the building was demolished.
For more information, visit: http://www.levoy.net/