Historic Site Management Grant
Grant Award: $50,000 (2000) Grant Recipient: Rahway Historical Society County: UnionMunicipality: Rahway
Built ca. 1795, this Federal-style tavern was expanded to four stories in the period around 1820. The tavern is the only remaining 18th century stagecoach tavern in the city and one of only four in the county.
The most recent Trust grant helped fund the creation of a historic landscape report and rehabilitation master plan for the site, which includes the former tavern yard and a small tavern that was moved to the site. A 1997 Trust grant helped fund structural stabilization and restoration, electrical work and barrier-free access.
For more information, visit: www.merchantsanddrovers.org