Grant Award: $90,693 (1997) Grant Recipient: Rahway & Plainfield Monthly Meeting of the Religio County: UnionMunicipality: Plainfield City
The Rahway and Plainfield Monthly Meeting House, built in 1788, was the first house of worship in Plainfield, the center of the early community, and is now one of Plainfield's few eighteenth-century structures. The Meeting House's historic character has remained intact, and this restoration complements the rehabilitation of the neighboring railroad station and community-improvement projects in Plainfield's North Avenue Historic District.
The Trust grant helped fund restoration of wood shingles, windows and shutters. The slate roof, gutters, storm drains, and site retaining walls were also repaired.
For more information, visit: