Historic Site Management Grant
Grant Award: $49,669 (2012) Grant Recipient: St. Paul's Church, Camden County: CamdenMunicipality: Camden
The oldest church building in Camden, the 1835 church was originally designed by Camden architect/builder Gideon C. Stivers. Notable additions included the construction of a transept and chancel in 1856, parish house in 1885, and alterations to the main elevation in 1910, which removed the wood frame tower and added a pair of stone towers, and the addition of a Sunday school building.
The church’s initial history corresponds with the first period of industrial growth in Camden made possible by the founding of the Camden and Amboy Railroad. The church continued to expand with the city in the post-Civil War era, when Camden became a commercial and financial center as well as continuing its industrial expansion. As part of the Market Street district, St. Paul’s was as prominent a landmark as the nearby post office, insurance buildings and banks.
The 2012 Trust grant helped fund the development of a 15-year master plan and National Register nomination.
For more information, visit: http://www.stpaulscamdennj.org/history.html