Level II Capital Grant
Grant Award: $312,731 (1997); $137,774 (2000) Grant Recipient: St. Peter’s Episcopal Church, Freehold County: MonmouthMunicipality: Freehold Borough
St. Peter's Church was built between 1771 and 1806 by Robert Smith, a leading colonial architect and builder. This Georgian-style structure is one of the only five eighteenth-century church structures still standing in New Jersey. In addition, St. Peter's is a rare example of Robert Smith's innovative truss design in a timber frame church.
The most recent Trust grant helped fund the restoration of the church’s steeple and replacement of the failing roof systems on the church and chapel. A 1997 Trust grant helped fund structural stabilization and some exterior restoration. In addition to its weekly services, the church provides extensive outreach to the community by providing meals, managing a thrift shop and preschool, and providing on-site counseling.
For more information, visit: http://www.stpetersfreehold.org/about-us/