Historic Site Management Grant
Historic Preservation Bond Program
Grant Award: $390,219 (1995); $5,250 (2001) Grant Recipient: Monmouth County Historical Association County: MonmouthMunicipality: Middletown
These two homes and the landscape surrounding them survive as significant examples of Middletown's agrarian economy during the Revolutionary War and throughout the mid-19th century. The vernacular Marlpit Hall was built ca. 1756 by the Taylors, politically active British sympathizers who lost their fortune and social standing during the Revolution. Descendants of the family erected the Victorian Taylor-Butler House in 1853. Built in 1686, Marlpit Hall reflects the evolution and the synthesis of Dutch and English building traditions in New Jersey. For 250 years, the house was occupied by a series of community leaders and their descendants. Marlpit Hall closed for three years due to structural problems related to insect infestation in the foundation.
The most recent grant helped fund a landscape master plan for the partial restoration and management of the grounds surrounding the two houses. A previous Trust grant helped fund stabilization and restoration of the Hall, as well as some modern improvements needed to reinstall its museum collections and reopen the house to the public. The restoration was completed in 2001.
For more information, visit: http://www.monmouthhistory.org/Sections-read-2.html