Grant Award: $261,090 (1995) Grant Recipient: South River Borough County: MiddlesexMunicipality: South River Borough
Constructed in 1805 and expanded in 1862, this building was the first church in South River. It is one of the last satellite churches established by the First Baptist Church of Hightstown in the late eighteenth century. The cemetery exhibits an 1832 marble urn crafted by John Frazee, the first American sculptor to cut portraits directly in stone.
The Trust grant helped fund exterior and interior restoration and stabilization of the wood frame building, as well as installation of new mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems. The restored building now serves as the headquarters for the South River Historical Society and as a repository for South River archives and historical memorabilia.
For more information, visit: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~njsrhps/museum.html