Historic Site Management Grant
Grant Award: $19,070 (2006) Grant Recipient: Presbyterian Church Of Madison County: MorrisMunicipality: Madison
Webb Memorial Chapel is a Romanesque Revival style building constructed in 1888. The stone chapel was designed by the noted architectural firm of John Cleveland Cady & Company. Josiah Cady, the lead designer, also designed the Metropolitan Opera and Natural History Museum in New York City. Money to build the Chapel was donated by Mr. and Mrs. James A. Webb, Sr. in memory of their only son, James A. Webb, Jr. The Chapel is connected by a stone passageway to the church’s 1928 parish hall.
The building is in good condition, but is showing signs of age through masonry deterioration, lack of accessibility, and outdated building systems. The 2006 Trust grant helped fund the preparation of a preservation plan.