Grant Award: $45,668 (1991) Grant Recipient: Chatsworth Club County: BurlingtonMunicipality: Chatsworth
Built ca. 1860, the White Horse Inn/Shamong Hotel is the one of the oldest surviving inns in the Pine Barrens. When first constructed, the inn served stagecoach, and later, railroad, passengers en route to Southern New Jersey iron furnaces. At the turn of the twentieth century, Prince Ruspoli created a resort club in the area called the Chatsworth Club, which boasted Astors, Duponts, Goulds, Pulitzers, Morgans, and Vanderbilts as members. Overflow guests from the resort were housed at the inn.
Today, the historic inn is the sole remaining building that once belonged to the club. It is open for local tours and festivals. The Trust grant helped fund stabilization of the inn and restoration work.
For more information, visit: