Level II Capital Grant
Grant Award: $190,009 (2000) Grant Recipient: City of Burlington County: BurlingtonMunicipality: Burlington
The William R. Allen School illustrates the development of segregation as an educational policy in New Jersey. Quakers established schools for black children in Burlington as early as 1804. The present building, constructed in 1900, occupies the site of the earlier Federal Street School for Colored Children built in 1870.
Although a State law requiring integration passed in 1881, the southern counties of New Jersey continued to practice segregation by dividing school districts into neighborhoods which were divided along racial lines. The enlargement of the school in 1914 and 1924 illustrates the growth of the black population in Burlington due to increased industrialization and the Great Migration of Southern blacks to northern cities.
The Trust grant funded the stabilization and exterior restoration of the school, including barrier-free accessibility. The site is currently used as an adult day care facility.
For more information, visit: http://www.co.burlington.nj.us/documentcenter/view/1337