Historic Site Management Grant
Grant Award: $12,413 (2009) Grant Recipient: Willingboro Township County: BurlingtonMunicipality: Willingboro
The one-room school was constructed in 1866 in what was originally called Welling Borough, a small rural community. When the school was closed in the 1920s, the building was used for the town hall and community meeting place until being restored as a museum in the 1960s. This is one of New Jersey’s first properties listed on the New Jersey Register of Historic Places. Open infrequently for community events, the modest building is suffering serious deterioration of its roofing, masonry and windows.
The Trust grant helped fund the preparation of a preservation plan that assessed current conditions and set priorities for stabilization, repair and restoration.
For more information, visit: http://www.willingboronj.gov/about-us/38-2/